Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Big Step!

Happy August 1st! I love when I blog on the first of the month - it means I definitely won't let the month pass without posting. I'm guilty of that WAY too often. In fact, there may not be anyone out there who still checks my blog. But maybe I can change that?

So, I shared in my last post that I have done a lot of heavy daydreaming lately. I've been feeling inspired and motivated in ways that are always there, but that life has pushed below the priority line for a while. This is going to sound crazy, but one morning, while I was getting ready and blow drying my hair, a vision of a business came into my head. I am not confident enough to share that full vision with you right now, but I will say that it was exciting and motivating enough to lead me to set some goals. Deadlines, if you will. I decided that I wanted to have an Etsy shop up and running by the end of the summer, and I want to do a craft fair by the end of the calendar year.

A few years ago, I did a little logo design on the side. And I've done a small craft fair twice. But I have always wanted a legit business. I get that from my dad. More than anyone else that I know, he has an entrepreneurial spirit. He started his own business when I was 7 years old. It was web and phone based, and he worked at it for almost 10 years before letting the dream go. It was never steady enough income to live securely. But in addition to that business, he has been a caterer, customized golf clubs, bought and sold on eBay, had a lawn care business, and who knows what else.

I love my dad. I love that I inherited that spirit from him. I'm also very proud to be a part of his family. He comes from a long line of musicians, actors, and artist types of all sorts - including circus performers. I LOVE the circus! I wish I could be an elephant in a circus.

My mom is the same. She has been crafty my whole life. She is a very talented seamstress, and I think my artistic eye comes from her. She sees beauty everywhere, and is easily inspired, like me. She also comes from a long line of artists, including a mother who sews and crochets beautifully, and a father who is a musician and craftsman.

My point is, "I've got the music in me". And the artiness. It's in my blood.

As I've mentioned before, I don't handle change very well. I tend to dream big, but too often, fear and insecurity keeps my dreams from becoming realities. If I move forward, it is usually through baby steps.

I say all of that to say that today I took a step. It is one of many steps, but it didn't feel like a baby step, it felt like a big step.

I drove to Dallas, got lost, then found the records building, and filed a "Doing Business As". For the low, low price of $20 ($16 for the certificate, and $4 for parking, which came with a free "hello beautiful" and lots of smiles from a guy in a yellow shirt and straw hat) I am now the proud owner of a Certificate of Ownership for Unincorporated Business or Profession. I now legally own my business name. I have no idea what else I need to do, but I'm hoping to find out soon. One step at a time. Today, I took a step. Maybe it wasn't much, but it was more than a daydream, and it was hard, but I did it anyway.

I bought myself $5 flowers and peanut M&Ms to celebrate. Hopefully my husband will brings me kisses and hugs to celebrate further tonight.

Here's to believing in daydreams and baby steps! Stay tuned for more!

1 comment:

Marie said...

I still follow you and I LOVE that you are taking steps. Keep moving forward!