Sunday, January 30, 2011

Thinking About Friends

I had dinner at my parent's house tonight. We were celebrating my niece's 8th birthday. I can't believe she is 8 years old!!! I remember when Madilyn was 8 days old and we weren't sure she was going to survive. She was born three months early and spent the first three months of her life in a hospital learning to breath on her own. Those were dark days. I can't imagine my life without her and I am thankful for every moment I have with her. And it's funny to be around her. Her mom and I are a lot alike, so I can see a lot of myself in Madilyn. Some of the faces she makes, and her reactions. And we cry JUST alike. It's weird!

I always feel good when I leave a family hangout. Ya know, everyone has different sides to their personality. And I think that different people bring out different sides in us. Showing your different sides to different people doesn't make you false. If anything, I think it makes us more genuine. Because not all personality traits are appropriate in every situation...

I love my college friends because they make me laugh as much as they let me laugh. I am the lightest side of myself with my college friends.

I love Jennifer because she lets me get angry. Anger is not an emotion that I always know how to deal with. It is FAR from my go-to emotion. But sometimes it is an appropriate reaction. And Jennifer never judges me for showing my anger. She always understands it and helps me deal with it.

I love Jenina because she lets me dream. Jenina is someone who I can speak my hypotheticals out-loud to, and she never makes me feel stupid about my hopes and plans. She is a dreamer herself, who has made lots of her dreams come true. Sometimes it is inspiring just to be with her.

Jeff lets me be sincere. We are both people who recognize and are touched by people's kindness. It is always uplifting to spend time with Jeff because we spend our time lifting up other people.

My family lets me be dumb. I'm sure there is a prettier way to say that, but that's the best word coming to mind right now. There is no pressure to be learned or eloquent when I am with them. They understand me in a way that no one else can. And of course, like all families, they don't understand all of me. That seems to be just how families work.

And of course, my sweet husband. He lets me be silly, when I need to be. He lets me cry when the stress is too much. He lets me be sexy. We are still newlyweds, and he doesn't know what to do with some sides of me. But he is determined to love them all.

I hope everyone has a good week! I packed about 20 boxes this weekend. The stack of boxes is rapidly growing, but the apartment doesn't look any different yet. What's up with that??? haha. I don't care. I love to pack =-) I am looking forward to the move. Work isn't going to be easy this month. Spring Open-House is a big deal, and there are some tensions in the office that I'm not sure what to do about. I hope there's no drama... so not interested in drama.

Peace out playas!

No comments: