Sunday, October 24, 2010

Where Do The Weekends Go?

After spending two consecutive weekends away from home, I'm forgetting what a productive/restful weekend feels like. And next weekend we are having a party Saturday night. And the weekend after that I will be at the women's conference all day Saturday. Hmm... so I can get some rest in approximately 20 days. Great. I am SOOOO looking forward to Thanksgiving. Because I love it, yes, but this year, I am needing those two days off of work. NEEDING. You know what I mean, Vern?

So school was a madhouse on Thursday. It started out like a fairly normal day, but the first sicko came to the office at about 9:15. He was coughing. He told his teacher that his tummy hurt, but he was pointing at his chest. The sweet one has asthma pretty bad, so I called mom to find out if he could have his breathing treatment early and she said yes. Well as soon as his breathing treatment was over, he threw up. I guess when he said tummy, he meant tummy. It was a few hours later when the next one came up, but after her, we had a constant stream of up-chuckers that had us running all over the place, with gloves and anti-bacterial spray in hand. We disinfected the entire school, but it wasn't enough to keep both of us office girls from getting sick.

But that part comes later...

I left the school late, because of a mix up with the money bag, and Brett and I got on the road at about 7:15. We checked into our hotel at midnight and had a night of deep sleep in the worlds most comfortable bed.

Friday morning we slept until 9:30 and took our time getting ready. We hit up a Pappa's BBQ for our new favorite burger and then went back to the hotel to get ready for the funeral. It was easy to find and we met our friends there.

I have only been to a handful of funerals in my life. I was too chicken to attend them for a while, so I am no expert on the subject. But everyone there seemed to have the same comment when it was over... "I can't believe Scott did that". Scott, Brett's friend whose son passed away, gave the eulogy. It was so touching. He spoke proudly of how gifted his son was and spoke boldly about the imperfections that were evident to everyone in John's short life. It was so loving and so honest. And then he asked for anyone who had a story to share to please do so. Wow. This kid was amazing. He had several friends there, and honestly, they made him sound like a super hero. Full of flaws, but at the same time, so giving and so loving. Like Wolverine maybe? Equal parts inappropriate and do-gooder.

I always jokingly say that no one cries alone when I am around. I may not be able to help, but I can at least cry with you. Well apparently, no one had car trouble when John was around. He was literally like a vigilante who just drove around helping broken down motorists. He couldn't see someone in need and not stop and help. Who does that? Even AAA makes you pay first!

It was a special service and I am glad that I was there to hear it all. After the funeral, we spent a couple of hours at the families house. By that time, it was getting close to 7:00 and the non family members were making there way out the door. Brett and I spent the evening with Chris and Marie, and we had a really nice time. We went to dinner and talked about going to see Red, but ended up watching the Rangers spank the Yanks back at our hotel room.

Our plan for Saturday was to get up and go see Scott one more time. Then meet Gary and family for lunch. Then stop by Marie's on our way out of town to see the boys and pick up an M&M costume that Marie had graciously offered to let me borrow for our party day at school. But all of our plans went out the window when I woke up with an odd feeling in my tummy.

It wasn't pain. Just not right. I wasn't sure what to do, so we just took our time getting ready and I took some Pepto that Brett had brought along. After checking out we stopped at Walgreens for a necessity that I had not brought enough of and after I paid for said necessity, I went straight to the Walgreens bathroom and threw my guts up! I mean, wow! And I had just taken some chewable Pepto Bismol, so it was bright pink!

I haven't thrown up in a loooong time. I just have a pretty strong stomach. But this one made up for years of going without. So I got to the car and Brett made a few phone calls canceling all of our plans. We did stop at Marie's to get the costume and she gave me some anti-nausea medicine that I don't know how I could have made it home without. We still had to make 4 stops for me to run to the bathroom on the way home. So that extended our trip. And then we hit a killer storm in Dallas! So that slowed us down. When we got home, I ran to the bathroom and then crawled in bed. After all of that, I was still really surprised when Brett woke me up at 7:30 and took my temperature. I had a fever of 100.8, which isn't super high for most people, but my regular temp is a little low. I run an even 96.8. So there was definitely something going on!

The first half of today was pretty much the same. We stayed home from church, which I really hated to do, but I couldn't stay out of the bathroom for more than 30 minutes. Michelle recommended Immodium AD and it has been a big help. My stomach still has occasional stabs of pain, but it is mostly false alarms, thank goodness!

Brett and I are both pretty tired, and I think this week may be challenging. I am going to battle the tireds by praying for my loved ones. We have a lot of friends with prayer needs right now, and I find that praying for others helps me to focus less on unpleasant things in my life. Rest will come, and until then, God will sustain me.

On that note, I'm off to bed! Well, I need to switch the laundry first. But then, off to bed! Hope everyone had a good weekend!

No comments: