Monday, September 16, 2013

Well That Was Unexpected

I've had an interesting couple of weeks.

I don't really know how to tell this story. I started to write it "story style" if you know what I mean, but just trying to think about all of the details made me tired. So I'm going to jump right to it. I sort of got a job offer.

Two weeks ago, on a Saturday morning (the Saturday before Labor Day - as I was making a gift for Emily's second birthday) I got a message that my church wanted to talk to me about a position. It's not really public yet, so I won't go into much detail, but I will say that on paper, it sounded like the perfect position for me. No, it's not the pastor ;-)

If you've been reading my blog long, or if you know me at all, you know that I work at a private preschool and elementary school in my hometown of Irving. I am the office manager. I am on my fourth year there, and I love the school. I love seeing the kids each day, I love the owners, I love the girl that I work in the office with... it's a great job.

But no job is perfect. This summer was a little rough. There were a lot of circumstances that left me stretched a little too far at the school, and I grew weary. And, as you know, my heart has really been stirring for Gypsy Rhetoric. I've been wanting to take crafting a little further for a long time, and I'm finally trying to do that. All of those things awakened me to an active realization that I will not work at this sweet school that I love forever. And if I'm being totally honest, I would love for my next boss to be me.

But if there is any place that could take me away from this job that I love, it would be my church that I love. I mean, I LOVE my church. Even as we are searching for a new pastor and worship pastor, we are thriving and God is moving and it is an amazing place to be. In fact, since our pastor and worship pastor resigned 6 weeks or so ago, there have been a lot of opportunities to serve open up for Brett and I. So when I talked to the church about possibly working there, I was torn.

Seriously. It was a long 13 days. That's how many days passed between the first initial phone call talking about the position, and my email to the church saying that I'm not the right person for the job. Actually, saying that now is not the right time. The days in between day one and day thirteen were full of prayer, fasting, counsel and tears. Anxiety, fear, joy and one interview. And I changed my mind every day. Sometimes multiple times a day.

The problem with thinking you might be leaving your job, is you allow yourself to acknowledge all of the unpleasantness. The ins and outs of every day that make things a little harder than you would prefer. I was miserable at work. At my school that I love. Which was an obvious sign of attack. The enemy was walking through my mind and making things hard. But in the end, God spoke very clearly to my sweet husband, who I love and trust, and am submissive to ultimately. So two days after officially interviewing, I sent an email, then went to work, and had the best day I had experienced in two weeks.

I'm glad it's over. I'm glad that I am feeling peace at work again. I'm glad that I got to experience interviewing at the church. I'm incredibly thankful for the staff members that I spoke to, and I am committed to praying for the person who will fill that role.

Also, I really need a break. I have two days off coming up in four weeks. I'm Really. Looking. Forward. to them. Really. Life is busy, but life is good, and above all else, God is good. My prayer is to serve Him well.

I'm off to fancy up a canvas I'm working on for the Funky Finds Holiday Shopping Experience. Check out the other blog to see a pic soon!

No comments: