Monday, March 19, 2012

A Mrs. For Three Years

I'm feeling chatty =-)

What a great weekend! I am so refreshed. Feeling creative even. Man, did I need that.

I've been kind of... well, irritable would be the nicest word to use here, lately. Not because I have been mad at Brett. He has done nothing wrong. But we are one flesh. So when I am upset with me, it always comes out like I am upset with Brett. When I am feeling shameful or frustrated, it is easy for me to just want to be alone, or be with someone who I can hide from, which is anyone but Brett. I can crave time with friends when I feel that way, because it feels like taking a break from myself. But being with Brett is like being with ALL of me, so unfortunately, sometimes instead of feeling better with him, my bad feelings are magnified. Mostly because I don't always know how to tell him what is going on in my head.

My point is, it was SUCH a blessing to get out of the house for a weekend. We just went to Fort Worth. Nothing fancy. But Brett loves Fort Worth. He lived there for a few years after college and it is his favorite Texas town. We had a great time =-)

We started the weekend with a late dinner (I had to close on Friday) at Brett's favorite Fort Worth restaurant, Szechuan. It was the perfect start. Tasty Chinese food in a super relaxed spot with incredibly friendly servers. I couldn't have picked a better first meal. We left the restaurant at 10:00 or so, and I was wiped out after a 12 hour day at work, so we headed back to the hotel for some snuggling and sleeping.

I slept SOOO well! We had a very slow start to our Saturday and then ventured over to the Stockyards for some strolling. It was St. Patrick's Day, so there was an Irish folk band providing a nice background to our day. The history in that neighborhood is so fun. I love walking through buildings that have been standing for more than a century and imagining the people who have stood where I stood and sat where I sat.

We also started a tradition! One that we had the idea for a while back, so it was exciting to put it into play. Any time we take a trip, we are going to buy a piece of artwork to put in our home. I know that Fort Worth probably shouldn't count as "taking a trip", since it is close enough for us to drive there just for a meal if we wanted to, but hey, we stayed in a hotel. And we were celebrating an occasion. And, most importantly, we could afford something small. =-) So we bought a little sculpture. It's a little cowboy made out of horseshoes. Really cute.

When we left the Stockyards, we felt like doing a little more shopping. I ended the day with a new dress, a super cute shirt and two tank tops, a pair of flats and 6 books that I got for a total of $32 at a Half Price Books. Brett found a great deal on a game that he has had his eye on, but never found the books he was looking for.

We went to a restaurant that was not what we expected for dinner. I don't think I will elaborate here, but we will never forget the underground Italian restaurant, home of the famous singing waiters, where we had the only non-singing waitress and all of the food was overcooked and had a strange chemically flavor.

For some reason, I couldn't fall asleep Saturday night. I read until my book light ran out of batteries, and then just laid in bed trying to be still so I would fall asleep, which I finally did at about 4:45 in the morning. Needless to say, we slept in Sunday morning. We checked out of the hotel at noon and headed to The Old Southwest Pancake House. It was great and would have been a super fun experience if our service had been a little more attentive. After brunch, we went hunting for comic shops and then slowly made our way home.

I am SO happy that we took the day off today. It was so nice to sleep in. And somehow, having a Monday off feels more private than having a Friday off. You can expect places to be a little more crowded on Fridays, but I felt like I had lots of freedom as I ran my errands today.

Now I am about to make the bed so I can lay and enjoy the sound of the pounding rain. It's going to be a great week! My sisters and I are going to see The Hunger Games Thursday night, I am hosting a Mary Kay party on Saturday, and on Wednesday, I am going to my first ever Zumba class. I chickened out last week, but I'm definitely going this week.

Happy anniversary to my wonderful husband. I love you to the moon and back.

No comments: