Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sounds of Silence

I know I go long periods of time sometimes without blogging. It's NEVER because I have nothing to say. It's usually because I have too much to say. And the more time that goes by without posting, the more I have to say, and the more time I need to blog, and there's just never extra time!

It's a vicious cycle.

But right now, I can't NOT stop and say this. I have just been looking at pictures of my best friend's baby, Emily Elizabeth. She was born on Friday and I met her Saturday. She is SO precious. Just beautiful. Lots of dark hair and really red lips. I immediately had to fight tears upon seeing her. She's just so wonderful. And I love Jennifer so much. I'm so thankful that God has blessed her in such an abundant way. She and her husband are going to be really great parents and I hope that I am always a friend that encourages their family.

I'm not a parent yet. I've been married a little over two years, and as most of you know, I turned 30 this year, so the baby thing is on my mind a good amount of the time. I mean, I don't spend ALL day every day thinking about starting a family, but I definitely think about it every day. Some days more than others. I think I've devoted enough rambling on that subject lately. I don't have anything new to say at the moment, so I'll stop here for now.

In other news, school started yesterday. AHHHHH!!!!! June 28th was my 1 year anniversary at this job. This time last year, I was shaking in my boots. I mean, so unsure about what I should be doing most of the time that I walked in the door wanting to throw up every day. But this is a new year. So far I haven't wanted to throw up out of fear. Stress, maybe, but not fear.

It was an absolutely crazy summer. I'm glad that I was able to help more this year because summers are SOOOO very busy at our school. Our summer program is a real treat for the kids and a real challenge for a lot of the teachers. In the office, it's kind of like being an intern at a circus after watching a documentary about being in a circus. You know what it's supposed to look like, but when you least expect it, a clown will throw a pie in your face, or an elephant will poop in your path, and it totally throws off your momentum. Yes. I said "poop in your path".

I am incredibly thankful for my job. Is it my dream job? No. But it is an incredible blessing. The children at our school fascinate me. The way they grow, the way they think, the way they trust each other and, most of the time, us. I love when I am able to observe special moments. I am truly blessed.

There are way too many challenging things about the summer to pick the most challenging. But the most challenging thing about a new year is all of the new families. I have a LOT of new names to learn, and I need to do it fast. We are a small school, and we want it to feel intimate. I'm pretty sure no one is going to feel like they are family if I have to ask them their name when I am writing a receipt for them.

Anyway, the year has begun! I want to make it a good one!

Happy thoughts to all of my teacher friends out there. I hope your week goes smoothly!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Love you too, sweet girl. I am so glad you were able to come up and see us and I want you to come over soon to visit her again. She already loves her Aunt Kimmy!