Monday, November 2, 2009

Making Friends!!

I think that Brett and I have found a couple to hang out with! It was one of the things that I was most looking forward to about finding and becoming involved in a new church. To be in a class of young marrieds with couples that we can relate to...

Our class is SUPER friendly! But I have to admit... the first time that we walked in the room I felt like we were pretty unlikely to fit in. For whatever reason, our class is full of super models. Not literally, but practically! These girls could all be on the cover of Cosmo, or at LEAST Better Homes and Gardens! And the boys look like they model for American Eagle. Brett and I are happy, funny, bright people, but we could never be confused for models! Except maybe in those Wal-mart ads where they use family members as "models" instead of professionals. ha! We're just normal people!

But I told myself to not be intimidated, and to just pretend like I don't hear the "One Of These Things Is Not Like The Others" Sesame Street song every time we walk in the room. And it has paid off wonderfully! EVERYONE in our class is nice! They are so welcoming and open and warm... EVERY week it is a joy to take part in our time of learning with such precious people. But there are 5 or 6 couples that I have been sort of drawn to that I feel like we could potentially really become friends with. And it is becoming more and more clear which one we will hang out with first. I'm so excited! We are going to make plans ASAP and hang out with them. Brett and the guy talk after class every week, but yesterday I FINALLY had some time to talk with the girl just the two of us and we have SO much in common!

AND to top it all off, our class has some social events planned this month. This class is a lot less activity centered than previous classes that I have been a part of. I am thankful that we don't always have something that we feel obligated to participate in, but I am looking forward to the three events planned this month! The first one is this Friday! One of our directors is a coach at Irving High and we are going to tailgate before his game this weekend and go to the game together! Woohoo! It's PERFECT football weather! AND it's the Smack Mac game! Nice timing!

God is so good. I am incredibly humbled and thankful for the way he guided us and helped us transition to a new church. It really has been a blessing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so great that you are making new couple friends - they can be so hard to find!

Marie said...

Yay! I love making new friends. I wish it happened more often. Somehow the youth just aren't interested in being our friends. Go figure! :)Such is the Life of a Youth Minister's Wife