Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Holy Chocolate Cherry Batman!

Ooey Gooey Chocolate Cherry Muffins. If you own Hungry Girl's first cookbook, go get it, turn to page 177, make a grocery list, and get thee to a grocery store, NOW!

Wow! These were every bit as good as I wanted them to be, and more! I think this is the first HG dessert that I have tried. I find that a lot of them have ingredients that are too specific for me. I realize that 2 tablespoons of Reeses Puffs cereal on top of some sort of ice cream concoction would seriously up the yumm factor for only a few calories, but it would also seriously up the number on the scale when I sit down with a giant bowl and consume an entire box, minus 2 tablespoons, of course, of the previously mentioned cereal. So most of the desserts I skip over. But this week I decided to try a couple. They both each only have a few ingredients and we had some flexibility on our grocery budget. If number two is HALF as good as these chocolate cherry masterpieces, which I have a sneaky suspicion they will be, it will be a triumphant week in the Bacon's kitchen!

Our fridge is SO full! I was thinking I would free up some space when I cooked the package of 10 chicken thighs for dinner tonight, but it didn't occur to me that the container that I used to store the 6 thighs that were left over would take up about the same space as the package of chicken. I also have a growing number of leftover containers. We threw out Friday's leftovers tonight, and have of Saturday's, so that was good, but we still have Sunday's leftovers (yes we ate out 3 times this weekend. Don't judge me!) but I added containers of broccoli/cauliflower and mac n cheese, and left over cherry pie filling. So I didn't really gain any space.

I'm exhausted. I worked until 6:40, came straight home and started dinner, which wasn't ready until 8:30 (and that's an optimistic estimate... it very well could have been later). We watched a really great episode of Star Trek while we ate, and when it was over I watched Brett play the demo for the new Batman game coming out in a few weeks. That is, until I looked at the clock and saw that it was 5 til 10:00 and I had a mountain of dishes in the kitchen to do. Tonight was excessive on the dish front. I had dishes from breading the chicken, dishes from cooking the chicken, dishes from eating the chicken, dishes from cooking side dishes, dishes from baking the brownies and a lovely assortment of glasses and utensils. I fit them all into the dishwasher except for my big pot. It will have to wait until the morning.

Like I said, I am exhausted. I am going to go to the bathroom and then collapse into bed, husband or no husband. He doesn't seem the least bit tired. I have a voicemail I am really looking forward to listening to, but I honestly don't have the energy for it. It will have to wait until the morning.

I already know that I will need help getting going in the morning, so I did some prep work tonight. My coffee maker is fully loaded with coffee grinds and water. I will be able to push the on button on my way to the shower and fill up my cup when I get out! Little trick I learned from my sister, Melanie. Genius.

Goodnight, all.

1 comment:

Kriss said...

Ok, I must go find a Hungry Girl cookbook!!!! I really look forward to your entries. -kriss