Saturday, July 25, 2009

Delicious Dish - 2

My next post is actually a combo of two products that I eat together. The first one I learned about at Weight Watchers. There was a girl there obsessed with them. She found a reason to mention them every week. The thing that she was most proud of was that she ate them for breakfast even though it is not a conventional breakfast meal. Well I've always been a big believer in mixing your conventionals! Pancakes for dinner, cereal for lunch (shout out Marie!) and even, da da da DAH: Boca Burgers for breakfast.









What is Boca? Let's ask the website.

Made with the nutritious goodness of soy, BOCA foods help you get protein, fiber and calcium—substantial nutrition that helps you live a balanced life. BOCA and you believe the same thing... that the road to better balance starts with what's inside us.

Soy burgers! They are found in your freezer section, and they are DELISH! Well, if you are going for the lowest calorie count possible (70), go for the original vegan burger. It has a nice meaty smell, but the flavor is just so so. But if you are willing to spend a few more calories (120), check out the flame grilled! It's got a really nice flavor that stands well on its own!

So that is the meat part. What about the bun Kim? How do I keep my burgering calories to a minimum? Well, lots of people would tell you to ditch the bun and go with two slices of low cal, high fiber bread. But not me. Most high fiber breads, honestly, taste too much like cardboard to me. It just doesn't do the trick. But my sister and I discovered a product that is high in fiber, fairly low in calories and, in my humble opinion, totally DELISH! Thomas Light Multi Grain English Muffins.














I use these bad boys for burgers, sandwiches, snacks, you name it. Anything that you need bread for, you can reach for these. Except maybe hot dogs.... they're just not the right shape. If you are like I was a few years ago, you think that you don't like english muffins. But the key to eating an english muffin is to always, 100% of the time, TOAST IT! It gives the outside a nice crispiness while warming up the inside to give you the warm chewiness that a lot of us crave in our bread experience.

I make my burgers like so: Boca burger with lettuce, pickles, onion and mustard on a toasted Thomas Light english muffin. It is every bit as satisfying as a whopper from BK, but it is 2 points (one for the "meat", one for the "bun") rather than the 11.5 I would spend on a whopper. (And that's a whopper with mustard. If you are a mayo fan, make that 16.5)

I hope that you will give Boca a try. Watch for coupons because, as with all "health food", you're going to pay big for the small stats. They come 4 to a box and when they are not on sale, they are usually $3.99. But this is what I eat for breakfast that keeps me full and satisfied. (With 5 grams of fiber and 14 grams of protein, how could it not?) This is what I eat for dinner when I drive past the Burger King next to my work and I struggle not to pull in and drive through. And it is the perfect quick lunch when you are in a hurry because it takes 1 minute, 15 seconds to microwave and a tad more to toast. Keep your onion and lettuce pre-chopped in a bag, and you are good to go!

That's my dish for the week. Tune in next week when I talk about... I haven't decided yet, but it will be something Delicious, for sure!

No comments: