Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Phobia or Baby?

Why do doctor's appointments make me so nervous? I've always thought that it's just because I am so unfamiliar with all things doctor related. I had a pediatrician growing up, but I can't remember when I stopped going to him. In middle school and high school I have only one memory of going to a doctor and that was to get a shot. And it was a clinic, I think.

In 2003 I got a bad case of bronchitis. I had insurance through Lane Bryant at the time, but I had no idea how to use. My roommate ended up calling a doctor for me. I felt pathetic, but there you go. Since then I have been sick several times, but I was without insurance for about 3 years, and after that, I just stuck it out.

Just the thought of calling a doctor makes me sick. Literally. Like, I just hung up the phone after making an appointment as a new patient, and I feel like I need to throw up. Not because I am sick. Just anxious. What's that about? Am I just being a baby or is this a phobia? Trembling and nauseated... well, either way, it ain't fun!

But I have an appointment set up. I am taking one more step towards joining the grown-up world. I am 27 years old! You would think I would comfortable with all that jazz, but there are things that make me feel 5. Like car trouble and doctor's appointments.

Ick.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm glad you set up the appt. You'll like her. It's really not that bad. Going to the doctor is just part of life...something you need to do and I'm glad you're finally doing it!