Tuesday, January 6, 2009

If I Were a Bear, I'd be Rich!

Still juggling!

The last 7 days have been very productive. I've crossed some large things off of my list. I created the wedding blog, I found a doctor, I emailed addresses to the people throwing me showers, I found earrings for the bridesmaids. And that one was a bonus! I wasn't even looking for them! Um, there was more, but I can't seem to remember it now. That list doesn't sound very impressive. Probably because no matter how many things I do, there is still so much LEFT to do!

Here are some things that need to happen in the next 7 days:
1. Design Wedding Invitations and Thank You Cards
2. Create a Schedule for the week of the wedding (My Matrons of Honor are going to help me do that tomorrow night)
3. Recruit a team to help me set up for the reception
4. Recruit a team to set up and man the food for the reception (it doesn't sound complicated, but we have some serious time restrictions. Whoever performs this task won't be able to make it to the ceremony. So I need people who care about me enough to help out, but don't mind missing the wedding itself.)

That is my short list. In the month of January we need to:
1. Finish packing up Brett's apartment
2. Move into the new apartment
3. Clean Brett's old apartment
4. Decide on the groom and groomsmen outfits
5. Find necklaces for the bridesmaids
6. Begin the final part of the bridesmaid gifts
7. Start practicing cupcakes (We are doing cupcakes instead of cake at the wedding, and I am sure that if I play with it enough, I can make them myself and make them pretty enough for the occasion)
8. Reserve chairs and linens for the wedding day
9. Find shoes

That is all that I can list without having a panic attack. Lately I've been freaking  out and I have to go to my happy place. Know what it is? Brett's arms. Sometimes we are sitting on his couch, sometimes we are on a private island, sometimes we are in a horse drawn carriage. Wherever we are, I can always manage to calm down if I think of being in Brett's arms. No matter how stressful the next 73 days are, they will be worth it because in the end, I will get to fall asleep in his arms every night.

It's so crazy. We have been dating for so long, but some days it still seems so new. I think because we have so many new experiences coming up. I feel like we know each other so well, but how well do you really know someone who you have never lived with? But still... we have been dating long enough that I remember things that I didn't realize I had forgotten. For instance, driving home tonight, I remembered how I used to tell Brett, when we were just friends, that I was going to be his next best friend. I would say "I just know it. We are going to be best friends." Even then, I always felt calmer when I was anxious if I could be near him. I remember being shocked the day that I realized that was the case.

The first time I saw Brett I knew I was going to marry him. I don't know how, but I did. Of course, no one just "knows" something like that, right? I saw him sitting alone at the table in the basement and in my head I said "Oh, there's my husband". And then I said "What??? That's crazy talk". But I thought I should introduce myself anyway. I was immediately into him, but it is against my policy to like someone who doesn't like me. That's a lesson I only had to learn once! So we were friends, and God guarded my heart. I didn't obsess over him or pursue him. I just let things happen. But I confessed it to Kim and Ashley on mission trip. One night at dinner, we were talking about boys and being single and I said "actually, I think that I've already met my husband". They giggled and forced me to tell them who. I said "his name is Brett Bacon. He is just a guy in my Sunday School class. He is tall and cute and totally nerdy. I'm pretty sure I'm going to marry him."

And now here we are. 73 days from being married. We have been through so much. They haven't always been easy years. But they have been good.

I'm talking too much. It's bedtime for me. I am watching Return to Oz for the 6th time since I got it for Christmas. I love this movie!

No comments: