Sunday, June 3, 2012

Soundtrack of My Life

I feel like putting thoughts down on "paper" tonight. I just got home from a meeting and it has my brain moving.

I was asked to be a group leader at a women's conference my church is holding in October. I was immediately hesitant when I got the invite and heard the subject matter, because it is an issue that I happen to be struggling with at the moment. Imagine that. I have been hiding from it for long enough, and I feel like God is gently leading me to healing, so I am going to put my big girl panties on and see where God leads me. I'm sure I will mention more as the event gets closer.

Tonight, I feel like recording some goals. I am ALWAYS hesitant to be public with my goals because for years I have been guilty of creating long lists of goals that become so intimidating that I give up before I've made a dent in said list. And of course, that means that the lists always look a lot alike. But tomorrow is full on summer. The first week in June. A new season. (I know the season hasn't technically started yet, but believe me, in Texas, it is summer.) So ladies and gentlemen (I know of two dudes who sometimes read my blog), I give you (in no particular order, and in various levels of importance):

Kim's Summer Goals

1. Get my craft on
    - It felt so good to be crafty last week. I want to keep that feeling going. Be creative. Get messy. No rules. Let's see if we can fill up some of the blank spots on these white walls. Side note: the walls of my craft room are almost full to the max. There is even a bit of flair hanging from the ceiling now. Last weekend was the first time that I made something and hung it in another room. My "It is well with my soul" frame is hanging in the bedroom above and to the right of the dresser. Nice!

2. Be diligent with our savings
    - There is always a lot of back and forth when you are beginning a particular savings fund. I am humbly pleased to say that since we began to focus on our finances in January, Brett and I have paid off one credit card (the smallest =-) and only used the other two credit cards once each. I bought some clothes on my Lane Bryant credit card for my birthday and last week we had to put some car repairs on our big credit card. But I feel like if we are serious and diligent, we can reach our "emergency fund" goal by the end of August. Of course, we will continue to save after we reach that goal, but I have a number in mind that I am shooting for after that initial amount that will keep us from having to start from scratch (hopefully) if we ever have the need to pull from savings. It will feel really good to get back to paying down our credit cards.

3. Read my Bible daily
    - I have been very inconsistent with my time in God's word the last few months. I am hungry for his voice.

4. Walk off some weight
    - This really is a must do. I would like to walk for 30 minutes a day AT LEAST 3 days a week. (I typed 4, but then went back and put 3. I think it is realistic to start with 3 days a week and build from there.) I don't think I need to say more than that here.

5. Take care of our yard
    - This may sound easy, but I struggle with it big time. I did a HORRIBLE job of watering last summer. I know it's important for the foundation and I love the little house we are renting. I don't want it to be worse because we were here. My hard is currently in serious need of a rake and broom. I would like to address that and then start watering regularly. I would also like to get a few potted plants. At some point. This summer.

6. Plan a really awesome surprise date night
    - At least once this summer.

7. Be a better director in our Sunday School class
    - We are about to have our next planning meeting. Now that I know a little more about the dynamics of the class, I hope to have more to offer.

8. Make some mixed tapes
    - Okay, so not mixed tapes, cds. Music can be so medicinal. I am in serious need of some tunage for mi coche. I would like to start with a sound track of my life. Songs that have been significant at different times, for different reasons. I know this is a silly goal, but it's something I have been wanting to do for a long time, so darn it, I'm puttin' it on the list! Here are the songs that I know for sure will go on the mixed tape. CD. Whatever.

     - New Kids on the Block "The Right Stuff"
     - Wilson Phillips "Hold On"
     - Annie Lennox "Walking on Broken Glass"
     - The Beatles "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band"
     - DC Talk "Jesus Freak"
     - Jars of Clay "Flood"
     - Beach Boys "Good Vibrations"
     - Jennifer Knapp "Faithful to Me"
     - Caedmon's Call "Shifting Sand"
     - Blind Melon "No Rain"

That is what comes to me off the top of my head. This will take a lot of serious thought. Serious.

How about you? Any goals for this summer?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Sounds like some good goals! I wish we lived closer and could walk together!